Pages

Friday, 29 June 2012

Thrifting Away

I am off to Niagara Falls for the long weekend (HAPPY BIRTHDAY CANADA!), but I leave you with this outfit featuring one of my first ever actual thrift store purchases - this purple skirt! *slow clap*

When we first arrived in Canada in 1993, my whole family was taken to a church downtown Ottawa and led into a musty basement full of used clothing. A couple of kind nuns measured and fitted us all with new wardrobes....perfect for spring/summer 1965. I remember my parents laughing at our new outfits on our way back home, but I knew they were just making light of a difficult situation, trying to hide from us kids the real pain they must have felt. It was there that our second-hand lifestyle began. For a while, everything we owned was used - more accurately it was donated. All of our furniture, our dishes, all my toys, my clothing - everything was someone else's. I remember wondering what it would be like to own something that no one else had touched before. As a result, I developed a serious aversion to thrift stores, garage sales and hand me downs. The mere smell of a thrift store reminded me of those difficult years.

Over time though, things have changed. I first started shopping at thrift stores for Halloween costumes, then ugly sweater parties and most recently, inspired by some great bloggers, I've also started browsing for actual clothing items. The other day, I finally took the plunge and made my first purchase. Three items: this skirt, a scarf and a yellow blazer. It's a slow start, but a start nonetheless.I plan to go back in search of a denim vest (or a denim jacket to DIY into a vest).

This skirt was $4.99 and has pockets. Love.







T-shirt: Garage, Belt: Forevew 21, Skirt: Value Village, Shoes: Winner's

9 comments:

  1. That skirt was a great find - and for only $4.99? Awesome!

    Hope you have a great weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. suknja je savrsena, super outfit!:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVE that gorgeous purple skirt, and the pink scarf looks so pretty with it :) Have an awesome time at Niagara Falls!

    Annie
    The Other Side of Gray

    ReplyDelete
  4. I feel like the scarf pulled everything together! This is so cute!

    Please check out my new blog:

    http://thelooneybuttdiaries.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great find! Value Village is such a great place to shop at.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is a fabulous skirt and I can't believe it was only $5!! You look so lovely, and the scarf is the perfect finishing touch!

    <3 Jenny
    www.crazystylelove.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hope you have fun in Niagra Falls. That place is gorgeous!

    http://www.glamkittenslitterbox.com/
    Twitter: @GlamKitten88

    ReplyDelete
  8. $4.99 AND it has pockets!? I am in love with that skirt! You look fabulous
    xx
    Here&Now

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments, they always bring a smile to my face! - Maja