Pages

Tuesday, 5 June 2012

Queen Bee

Taking photos of yourself and your outfits every day is no easy task my friends. Sometimes (aka most days) you feel blah and don't want to be photographed, other times it's raining, or you're busy or you randomly lose track of time and completely forget about the photo shoot (like yesterday). The sun was finally out again today, and despite a really busy day we managed to squeeze in these shots.




 Shirt: Winner's, Skirt: Dynamite, Belt: Target, Bracelets: Forever 21 + DIY from Sarah, Ring: Magpie, Necklace: Joe Fresh

You know what else is no easy task? Learning another language. After an hour and a half with my French instructor, my brain hurts, I am super sweaty and hungry. Who knew that learning another language was a whole body + mind workout?

It is also very humbling. Not being able to perform what most of us consider the most basic task - speaking - makes you feel very vulnerable and very humble. The whole experience has reminded me of what I went through learning English, and given me a better understanding and appreciation of what many immigrnts, including my parents continue to go through every day. Not being able to clearly and fully express your thoughts is frustrating, and so much harder when you aren't a child and when your thoughts are more complex than just "let's play!" or "when is recess?"  Luckily for me, the only place where I currently have to use a language I am not comfortable with is the classroom. I can only imagine what it must be like for my parents who, regardless of their comfort level or language skills, have to speak English to survive. I commend them, and immigrants like them all over this country and the world, for never keeping quiet, despite all those times that they probably wanted to. It takes courage to start life over like they did, and even more courage to speak up when you know that what you are about to say will probably not sound perfect, or as you had planned.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments, they always bring a smile to my face! - Maja