Pages

Friday, 27 April 2012

A Lot of (blog) Lovin'

When I fist started blogging, a long, long time ago (aka 3 weeks ago) I didn't think too much about why I was doing it or what I was expecting to get out of it. I've been obsessively following fashion blogs for a while now, so I thought : why not join the conversation?
Today I am pleased to admit that one of the last things I expected out of all of this, is the kind of positivity and kindness I have experienced from fellow bloggers. It has been especially cool to discover all the positivity coming from style bloggers.




Style blogging is a predominantly female preoccupation (I haven't stumbled upon any male style bloggers as of yet - boys if you're out there..holler!).  When I imagine walking into a room full of self-proclaimed fashionistas in real life and showing off my outfit, I feel like throwing up in my mouth! It would be scary, because I would assume that this crew would be stuck up, harsh and judgemental.
I am so glad to report that walking into the cyber equivalent of this room - the style blogging community- has been NOTHING like that.

On the contrary, I've discovered that an  important part of blogging is the positive feedback we give and receive, which is such a refreshing change from the type of negativity we are made to believe that women feel toward one another and toward their own bodies. Yes, I'm sure that there are douchebags out there who leave angry, negative comments, but overall the vibe is predominantly positive.
Complete strangers from all over the world leave encouraging comments for each other, appreciating and supporting each other's creativity and work. This is not only really flattering, but in a world of worst dressed lists and angry celeb blogs (which I adore, don't get me wrong) it is also rare and inspiring. It flies in the face of what people (including myself from 3 weeks ago) might assume a group of women who love fashion would be like.

Ladies, thank you all for your comments and please keep 'em coming. We face a lot of scrutiny and negativity relating to our looks on a daily basis, I am happy that style bloggers have  chosen to be kind to one another!

I'm such a cheeseball.





4 comments:

  1. So true! I have had nothing but positive feedback. I rarely hear of mean things being said. I also feel like I know more about fashion from reading blogs than magazines!

    Amy

    fashionandbeautyfinds.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment Amy. I feel the exact same way - I have learned more and been WAY more inspired by blogs than I ever was by magazines. For me the key is the fact that bloggers are real people (beautiful, well dressed people, but real none the less) and the clothes they wear are mostly from stores which are accessible to most of us. Seeing a super model in a $20, 000 Versace gown is nice, but it really doesn't translate to my life.

      Delete
  2. I guess I have to agree that most style blogger are women, but the sartorialist is a guy, but he take pics of other people. Love that black and white picture! Women power

    www.girllilikoi.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will have to check out The Sartorialist, thanks for the tip Girl Lilikoi.

      Delete

Thanks for your comments, they always bring a smile to my face! - Maja