This past Friday my friend Sarah (of Small Town Catwalk fame) hosted a fashion swap party and it was a blast!
It was basically the perfect Friday night - hanging out with 12 other girls while we tried on clothes, munched on delicious snacks and talked fashion. There were lot's of laughs as we revisited some interesting pieces and remembered the stories behind them. Picking up new pieces for free was fabulous, but equally fun was seeing how fantastic some of my pieces looked on other people. For shopaholics like myself, each piece holds a special place in my heart, even the ones I end up wearing only once (or never) and it was so nice to have some of my clothing admired and to admire other people's clothing. We had a HUGE amount of clothing as illustrated by these photos and at the end of the night we donated what was left over (a lot) to a great cause (http://www.dressforsuccess.org)
So, what's so great about a fashion swap party? So glad you asked because I've got a list (I love a good list).
A swap party will lead to:
1. Organizing - in order to decide what I was bringing I had to re-organize my closet and finally say good-bye to some pieces that although I loved, I knew I wasn't going to wear again (here's lookin' at you Tommy Hilfiger sheath dress that I wore to my first ever "real" job interview after which I landed my first ever "real" job)
2. Finding Gems - cleaning out my closet inadvertedly led to "shopping" my closet and finding some long forgotten pieces. I ended up with a brand new, cute outfit for work. Yes!
3. De-cluttering - all the things I brought to the swap were things I'd only worn once or twice, but which were taking up space in my closet because I always thought "maybe I'll wear them one day". Getting rid of those things freed up much needed space in my closet, untl I brought home my swap swag.
4. Free Stuff - of course, I did not leave empty handed. I traded my stuff for new (for me) stuff. I actually ended up picking up a lot more than I thought I would, and I love it all. I wore a brand new 100% swap outfit to Easter festivities this weekend. Fun!
5. Bonding - I think most of us wondered how it was all going to play out, given that
we all have such seemingly different body types.The swap made us all realize that when it comes down to it our bodies aren't really that different after all and we can look totally fierce in each other's things.
I left the party with a lot of really aswesome swap swag and just this past Sunday, I wore a 100% swap-tastic outfit to Sunday's Easter festivities (Happy Orthodox Easter y'all!). I scored: a white Club Monaco pencil skirt, a Zara "old man" cardigan, a Jacob shirt with a Peter Pan collar, a leopard scarf (worn as belt with the white skirt), a sweater dress from H&M Germany, a gray RW&Co pencil skirt and a black Joe Fresh shirt with shoulder pads.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Thanks for your comments, they always bring a smile to my face! - Maja