Book Review - 50 Shades of Grey
I'm sure that many of you have at least heard of 50 Shades of Grey - the little trilogy that could. Starting out small, this series of books writen by E.L. James has caught the world by storm, currently selling more than 10, 000 copies per day. The rights to the movie have already been sold for a whopping 5 million dollars and women all over the world are buzzing about what many are calling "mommy porn".
I'd been following the crazy press almost daily and had even heard the books mentioned at my office, so I knew that I had to find out for myself what the fuss was all about. I've never read any "female erotica", not even a single Harlequin has made its way into my hands, and this was my chance to change that.
With 50 Shades, I'm pretty sure I plunged right into the deep end of the "lit porn" pool.
The story centers on the relationship between the handsome, brooding and supremely messed up billionaire, Christian Grey, and the innocent, verginal (until chapter 3) young but witty Anastasia Steele (best. porn. name. ever). It's your typical love story: girl meets billionaire, billionaire likes to get off on a little S&M, dominant/ submissive action, girl can't resist his good looks, his charm or his "red room of pain", sexy shenanigans ensue.
Not to make light of it - the underlying tones of this book are very dark. We learn that Christian is who he is because he was severely neglected and abused as a child - nothing funny about that. We also watch our heroine go through pretty serious emotional turmoil and struggle with her own insecurities, as she wonders how far she is willing to go for a man who may never be able to love her the way she wants.
I finally understand what the fuss is about - this book is addictive! It won't win the Pulitzer for sure - the writing isn't very sophisticated or anything, but the book is captivating, interesting and fun. All those boring parts you are secretly hoping the author will skip, are skipped, and the action and story line move rapidly.
Are the sex scenes very scandalous? I don't really think so. Perhaps I'm secretly super kinky and hard to shock (probably), but although they are very explicit, I didn't find the sex scenes that audacious. So they don't do it missionary style with the lights off? Nothing wrong with that.
I think what is more contraversial is the relationship between the two main characters. A friend of mine described it as "abusive". Anastasia certainly plays the submissive role (and not just in the kinky sex scenes). She is insecure, emotional, intimidated and afraid of her lover, who admittedly uses sex as a way of control, has frightening mood swings and likes his sex with a side of painful spanking. Both characters, however, are consenting adults, Anastasia is given full information regarding Christian's intentions, and there are many tender and caring moments between them. Importantly, and thankfully she is not always down on her knees pleasing this dangerous, brooding billionare. On the contrary, her pleasure is the focus of the story (and Christian's life, basically). Also, it is important to note that the entire first book takes place over just 4 weeks. Timid, scared, virginal heroins are not usually my cup of tea, but who hasn't felt a little insecure and completely enamoured and obsessed with a partner in the first few weeks of a budding relationship?
As I type, I'm deep into book two, 50 Shades Darker, and every moment spent typing this is a moment away from Christian and Anastasia...this addiction is not slowing down any time soon.
Love your review! Good to know that I'm not the only one who can't put this book down!
ReplyDeleteSarah
I just stumbled on your blog today and I had to leave a comment about the 50 Shades of Grey books. I finished all three books in 3 days! The books were amazing and I could not put them down!
ReplyDeleteAlso, your blog is super cute!
I'm on the third book now, will have to write another review when I'm done the trilogy. I'm SUCH a slow reader!
DeleteThanks for your comment and for checking out my blog!
Maja